top

Hill 70 logo
15-25 August 1917
Home>> Battle of Hill 70 >> Hill 70 Chronicles >> LAC Photos

At the outbreak of WW1, the Canadian Military did not employ photographers. As a result, there is no photographic record of the CEF until 1916 when Colonel Sir Max Aiken established the position of an official photographer. It is worth noting, that taking personal photographs was prohibited at the front. The first official photographer was Captain Harry Knobel. He was followed by Honorary Lieutenant William Rider-Rider who took over in June 1917. He photographed the Canadian Corps from Hill 70 until the end of the war. General Sir Arthur Currie recommended Rider-Rider for the MBE.

The photographs that follow are provided by the permission of the Library and Archives Canada.
 
  • Copyright © 2018 Hill 70 Monument Project    |    
  • Website by  inorbital.    |
  •     Design Credit: Yves Florack